How To Start A Blog In Nigeria And Make Money Easily In 2023
Blogging is a great way to share your thoughts and ideas with the world. However, if you’re interested in starting a blog, there are a few things you need to do to get started. In this article, you’ll be provided with step-by-step instructions on how to start a blog in Nigeria.
There are many reasons why you might want to start a blog in Nigeria. Perhaps you want to share your thoughts on current events, or you’re interested in creating a side income (or a full-time income) and need a platform to share your ideas.
Whatever your reason, starting a blog in Nigeria is easier than you might think.
Most importantly, blogs can help you build your brand and promote your business more effectively than you’d ever thought possible.
With that said, let’s get started!
Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. I may be forwarded a small compensation in case you make a purchase - at no additional cost to you - and it helps keep this website alive.
How to start a blog in Nigeria for free
Many people want to blog, but they don’t know how or where to start, or how much it will cost. In this article, I will show you how to start a blog in Nigeria for free, if that is what you prefer.
I will also show you how to start a more professional blog, which does require some minor initial investments.
Let us begin by looking at what is required to start a blog in Nigeria for free.
This article that you’re reading now is a shorter version of my free Beginner’s Guide on How to Start a Blog from Scratch and Make Money. So, if you prefer even more detail, check it out!
Free blogging platforms
First, you need to determine the purpose of your blog. What do you want to achieve with your blog? Are you looking to share your thoughts and experiences with the world, or do you want to use your blog to make money and create an online business?
There are several free blogging platforms that you can use if you have zero budget (however, keep in mind that self-hosted paid blogs are normally used by professional bloggers and small business owners).
- WordPress.com is one of the best blogging platforms available today. It is one of the most popular platforms and it offers users a lot of flexibility, they do have a free option.
- Blogger.com is another free platform. It is owned by Google and it offers users a lot of features, including custom domains and templates.
- Tumblr.com is also a great option for bloggers looking for a free platform.
- Medium.com is yet another free and currently very popular blogging platform.
- Wix.com also provides a free blogging opportunity.
Creative limitations and lack of control and ownership
Free blogging platforms can be used by anyone. However, free blogging platforms come with creative limitations. If you want to turn your blog or website into a business, you might not be able or have the right to, place ads or affiliate links on your free blog.
Furthermore, if you are using a free blogging platform, you do not have complete control over your content. Some users have also found that the free blogging platform they are using is not secure. The major disadvantage of using a free blogging platform is the lack of financial support for bloggers.
How can I start a blog in Nigeria and make money?
No matter if you live in Abuja, Lagos, or the countryside of Nigeria, a “self-hosted” blog is best for making money online, because, with such a blog, you’ll be in total control of your new blogging business.
1. Choose a blog topic and domain name
Once you have determined your purpose, you need to come up with a name for your blog. Domain names are important. You want to make sure you have a good name that is memorable and easy to spell.
When choosing a domain name, consider what you want your blog to be about. The domain name should reflect that topic. For example, if you want to start a blog about playing football, you might choose a domain name like www.thefootballplayer.com.
You also want to make sure the name is available as a domain name. It is best to get a “.com” domain. Once you’ve chosen a domain name, you need to register it with a web hosting company.
Domain names are usually around $10 a year if you buy them from a domain name registrar, but if you choose the web hosting service mentioned below in the next paragraph, you’ll get your .com domain for free the first year! (you can use their website to see if a domain is available in the next steps).
2. Pick a web hosting service
The next step is to find a solid web hosting from the wide spectrum of web hosting services available. I recommend Bluehost because they are reliable and have been in business for a long time. They have 24/7 live chat support which is great for beginners who are launching their very first blog.
As mentioned in the previous section, Bluehost also offers a free domain name when you sign up for a year of hosting. If you click the button below, Bluehost will open up in a new tab, and you will be able to get a special discount price of $2.95 a month.
I am currently using this deal myself for two of my blogs and am super happy with it.
Once you have chosen a web host, you will need to create a blog. This can be done very easily with Bluehost’s one-click installation of a WordPress blog.
3. Settle on a Content Management System (CMS)
You need a CMS, basically, a blogging platform, to be placed on your web hosting.
If you’re not sure which blogging platform to choose, I would recommend WordPress because it’s easy to use and has lots of features that can help you grow and monetize your blog.
For example, it is easy to place ads on WordPress blogs, and if you pay for your own domain name and hosting, then you are allowed to do anything you want with your blog.
That’s why most people choose to use WordPress because they are getting the best blogging platform, functionalities, and design. Also, since so many people use WordPress, there are a lot of tutorials on YouTube and helpful articles, in case you get stuck.
Best of all, if you get the Bluehost discount package as hosting for your blog, then you’ll be able to install and activate WordPress with just one click from your Bluehost dashboard.
Just follow their step-by-step instructions and you will be able to launch your blog in just a few minutes time. Use my detailed blog launch guide if you need more help.
Congratulations! Your blog should be up and running and it is time to turn it into a business and start making money!
4. Do keyword research and start blogging
It is now time to do some keyword research to find profitable and rankable topics to blog about.
Basically, topics that you have a chance to rank for in Google search (you have to write blog posts (articles) with titles that match search phrases that people are searching for in Google).
With a new blog that has zero authority on the internet, it is best to use long-tail keywords when starting out, this means keywords and phrases that consist of three or more words, preferably 4-5 words.
There are a few free tools that you can use for this, such as Google AdWords Keyword Planner, Ubersuggest.com, or Answerthepublic.com.
You can also just go to Google and start typing some ideas and see what Google says or is suggesting you search for, there you’ll find some good options for topics and titles.
Bonus tip: scroll down and see the “People also ask” and “Related searches” sections, there you’ll usually find even better ideas.
If you want to know how many people are searching for specific search terms per month and what the competition is like for those terms, then I recommend you to try KeySearch.co.
It’s the keyword research program I use regularly and which allows me to find the easiest search terms to rank for, thus making more money faster. It is one of the cheaper programs out there, but it works great.
Once you have a few keyword ideas, write down a list, start blogging about them, and publish new content regularly. Over time, you will start seeing results!
5. Choosing monetization options for your blog
When it comes to making money from your blog, you have a few different monetization options to choose from. The most common are affiliate marketing, display advertising, and selling your own products and services. Let’s take a closer look at each of these options:
Affiliate marketing is a process where you promote someone else’s products or services in exchange for a commission on each sale. This can be a great way to make money as a blogger in Nigeria, especially if you have a growing audience.
There are many different affiliate programs available, so be sure to find ones that fit your blog niche (topic). Amazon associates is a great starting point for physical products, while Clickbank is great for digital products, such as courses, etc.
Display advertising is another common way to make money from your blog. This involves displaying banner ads or other types of advertising from companies that are looking to reach your audience. You can sometimes negotiate a rate per ad impression or click-through.
Ezoic and Google Adsense are two great ad networks to start with as a beginner blogger (you will earn more money with Ezoic).
Offer your own services or products on your blog
Many bloggers offer their own services or products on their websites. These include e-books, courses, graphics, and software. Some bloggers offer consulting services to help people launch a blog or website or write a book. You name it, everything is possible!
6. Learn basic search engine optimization
SEO is the short form for “search engine optimization.” It’s an online marketing strategy that is used to improve a website’s visibility and rankings in organic search results in Google and other search engines.
Any website, whether new or old, can greatly benefit from basic SEO tactics such as optimizing titles and metatags, building backlinks, and using keywords strategically throughout the content.
My best advice is to start learning about SEO, little by little, by watching YouTube videos and reading articles. You don’t need to be an SEO expert in order to be a successful blogger, but knowing the basics will help your blog and profits grow faster.
Here’s a short video that explains what SEO is if you know nothing about it:
And here’s another short video with some practical SEO tips that you can try:
There are a number of different ways to leverage social media to increase traffic to your blog. One way is to post links to your blog articles on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, and invite your friends and followers to check them out.
Using Pinterest or Quora are two other options that are popular among bloggers. I suggest that you focus on one social media platform after your blog has launched and has at least ten or so articles on it. Creating content for your blog should still be the main focus.
Final thoughts on how to start a blog in Nigeria
Blogging is one of the best ways to make money online in Nigeria. It’s a skill that can be learned easily, and you don’t need any prior experience.
I hope you’ve found the advice in this article on how to start a blog in Nigeria useful and that you now have some ideas for how to make money blogging in Nigeria.
Blogging is nowadays something people can do anywhere in the world and make good money from, as long as they do it consistently and become good at it.
P.S. Growing a blog takes time, you should give it at least two years before even considering giving up!
P.P.S. You might also find my curated list of creative side hustles useful.
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to start a blog in Nigeria?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it can vary depending on a number of factors, including the type of blog, domain name, the hosting service used, and the level of customization desired.
Who is the best blogger in Nigeria?
There is no clear consensus on who the best blogger in Nigeria is, as there are many talented and well-respected bloggers in the country. However, some of the most notable Nigerian bloggers include Yemisi Aiyedun, Daniel Umeh, and Chude Jideonwo. These bloggers are respected for their insightful and engaging blogs, as well as their expertise in various fields.
Is blogging profitable in Nigeria?
In Nigeria, blogging is profitable because individuals can use it to make money through advertising, affiliate marketing, or selling products and services. Also, there is a wide domestic audience given the country’s large population.
However, there are some challenges associated with blogging in Nigeria, such as poor internet connectivity and a lack of knowledge about how to create and maintain a blog.
How can I start blogging in Nigeria?
There are a few ways that one can start blogging in Nigeria. One way is to create a blog through a free platform such as Blogger, Medium, or Tumblr. Another way is to create a self-hosted blog by using a content management system like WordPress that will be hosted by one of the many web hosting companies out there.
(As detailed in this article).
How do bloggers receive their money?
Bloggers receive their money by monetizing their blogs. This means that they place ads on their blog or they receive payments from companies in exchange for writing about their products. Bloggers can also receive money from affiliate marketing, which is when they receive a commission for referring someone to a product or service.
Payments are usually made via wire transfer once per month or by one of the many payment processors available online.
How do I start a blog in Nigeria?
To start a blog in Nigeria, you will need to follow these steps:
1. Choose a blogging platform: Decide on a platform that suits your needs, such as WordPress, Blogger, or Wix.
2. Get a domain name: Choose a unique domain name that reflects your blog’s content and register it with a domain registrar.
3. Set up your blog: Follow the instructions provided by your chosen platform to set up your blog. Customize the design and layout to your liking.
4. Create blog content: Start writing and publishing blog posts on topics that interest you and your target audience.
5. Promote your blog: Share your blog posts on social media, join blogging communities, and engage with other bloggers to increase your visibility.
6. Monetize your blog: Explore different ways to make money from your blog, such as displaying ads, promoting products or services, and offering sponsored content.
How can I make money easily with my blog in Nigeria?
Making money with your blog in Nigeria can be achieved by:
1. Monetizing your blog through ads: Sign up for advertising networks like Google AdSense or Ezoic to display ads on your blog and get paid for clicks or impressions.
2. Writing sponsored content: Collaborate with brands and businesses that align with your blog niche to write sponsored posts and earn money.
3. Affiliate marketing: Join affiliate programs relevant to your blog’s content and promote products or services using special affiliate links. When someone makes a purchase through your link, you earn a commission.
4. Offering services: Utilize your expertise and offer services like blog consulting, content writing, social media management, or graphic design.
5. Selling digital products: Create and sell e-books, online courses, or other digital products that provide value to your readers.
How do I choose a blog niche in Nigeria?
When choosing a blog niche in Nigeria, consider the following factors:
1. Passion and expertise: Select a niche that you are passionate about and have knowledge or expertise in. This will make it easier for you to create content consistently.
2. Audience demand: Research and identify topics that are popular and in demand among your target audience. This will ensure that your blog attracts significant traffic.
3. Profitability: Assess the earning potential of different niches. Some niches may have more opportunities for monetization through ads, sponsored content, or affiliate marketing.
4. Uniqueness: Find a way to differentiate yourself within your chosen niche. Offer a unique perspective, specialize in a sub-niche, or provide valuable insights that set you apart from competitors.
How can I drive traffic to my blog in Nigeria and Africa?
In order to start a successful blog, and grow your blog successfully, you’ll need traffic/visitors. Here are some effective strategies to drive traffic to your blog in Nigeria and Africa:
1. Quality content: Focus on creating high-quality, valuable content that appeals to your target audience. This will encourage readers to visit your blog regularly and share your content with others.
2. SEO optimization: Implement search engine optimization (SEO) techniques to improve your blog’s visibility in search engine results. Optimize your blog posts with relevant keywords, meta tags, and engaging meta descriptions.
3. Social media promotion: Leverage popular social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn to share your blog posts and engage with your audience.
4. Guest blogging: Write guest posts for other blogs in your niche. This helps you reach a wider audience and directs them back to your blog through a relevant link in your bio.
5. Networking: Connect with other bloggers, influencers, and industry experts in Nigeria and Africa. Collaborate on projects, participate in interviews or podcasts, and engage with their communities to expand your reach.
How do I monetize my blog in Nigeria?
There are several ways to monetize your blog in Nigeria:
1. Display advertising: Sign up for advertising networks such as Google AdSense, Media.net, or PropellerAds to display ads on your blog. You earn money when visitors click or view the ads.
2. Sponsored content: Collaborate with brands and businesses to write sponsored posts or reviews. They’ll pay you to promote their products or services on your blog.
3. Affiliate marketing: Join affiliate programs related to your blog’s niche. Promote products or services using special affiliate links, and earn a commission for each successful sale or action.
4. Digital products: Create and sell digital products like e-books, online courses, or templates. These can provide additional income streams and showcase your expertise.
5. Consulting or coaching services: Use your blog as a platform to offer consulting or coaching services to your audience. Charge a fee for one-on-one sessions or group programs.
How do I create a free blog in Nigeria?
To create a free blog in Nigeria and then blog for free, follow these steps:
1. Choose a free blogging platform: Platforms like WordPress.com, Blogger, or Wix offer free plans that you can use to create your blog.
2. Sign up for an account: Visit the chosen platform’s website and sign up for a free account using your email address or social media credentials.
3. Create your blog: Follow the platform’s instructions to set up your blog. Customize the design by choosing a theme and adding your desired elements.
4. Start publishing: Begin creating and publishing content on your free blog. Remember to optimize your posts for search engines and share them on social media to increase visibility.
How can I get a domain name for my blog in Nigeria?
To get a domain name for your blog in Nigeria, follow these steps:
1. Choose a domain registrar: Select a reputable domain registrar that offers domain registration services in Nigeria, such as DomainKing, Whogohost, or Qservers.
2. Check domain availability: Use the registrar’s search tool to check if your desired domain name is available. If it’s already registered, consider alternative options or variations.
3. Register the domain: Once you’ve found an available domain name, proceed to register it through the chosen registrar. Follow their instructions, provide the necessary details, and make the payment.
4. Connect the domain to your blog: After registering the domain, you’ll need to connect it to your blog. Each platform has specific instructions on how to do this, usually through a tool like DNS settings or domain mapping.
How do I promote my blog in Nigeria?
Promoting your blog in Nigeria can be done through various strategies:
1. Social media marketing: Utilize popular social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn to share your blog posts, engage with your audience, and attract new followers.
2. Guest blogging: Write guest posts for other established blogs in your niche. This increases your visibility and redirects readers back to your blog through a relevant link in your bio or author profile.
3. Networking with other bloggers: Connect with other bloggers in Nigeria through social media, blogger communities, or industry events. Collaborate on projects, exchange guest posts, and support each other’s growth.
4. SEO optimization: Implement search engine optimization techniques to improve your blog’s visibility in search engine results. Use relevant keywords, meta tags, and optimized meta descriptions in your blog posts.
5. Build an email list: Offer valuable content incentives, such as free e-books or exclusive resources, in exchange for visitors’ email addresses. Use email marketing to regularly engage your subscribers with updates and new blog posts.